Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 1995 05:45:55 +0300 (MSK)
From:      =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= (aka Andrey A. Chernov, Black Mage) <ache@astral.msk.su>
To:        "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@x.org>
Cc:        hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: A couple problems in FreeBSD 2.1.0-950922-SNAP

In message <KkJ7RWmaE4@ache.dialup.demos.ru>
    =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= writes:

>>A nice suggestion. Too bad it doesn't work. ANSI/POSIX1 say that a
>>program does the equivalent of setlocale(LC_ALL, "C") on startup. Given
>>that ls, and I gather everything else, disregard my LANG, LC_ALL, and
>>LC_CTYPE environment variables, I'm left wondering how it is you think
>>that using the "proper locale" will help. Are you assuming that I'm
>>using the undocumented hack of setting the ENABLE_STARTUP_LOCALE
>>environment variable?

Well, more simplest example:

1) Assume that startup locale hack not exist.
2) Assume that default table propogated to 8859-1 as you suggest.
3) Assume I set use KOI8-R locale/codetable on my system.

In that was I got some strange KOI8-R chars in various places
because they match some letters from 8859-1!

When default table is strictly ASCII, I don't see strange KOI8-R
chars because they are disabled as supposed.

So, I can't let European users live by price Russian/Japanese/etc.
users death.

--
Andrey A. Chernov        : And I rest so composedly,  /Now, in my bed,
ache@astral.msk.su       : That any beholder  /Might fancy me dead -