Date:      Fri, 4 Feb 2000 06:21:40 +0100
From:      Martin Welk <mw@theatre.sax.de>
To:        Matt Heckaman <matt@ARPA.MAIL.NET>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dump(8) question.

On Thu, Feb 03, 2000 at 09:12:39PM -0500, Matt Heckaman wrote:

> All have the various dump/pass options set via fstab, now when I run dump,
> and it goes to backup /, will it recurse into /var and so on, thus giving
> me duplicate backups and blowing space?

No. Dump works always on a per-file-system base, that means, each dump
volume is one file-system (or a part of it, if you do a level > 0 backup).

This is why you would want to use the non-rewinding tape device for putting
more than one file system on one tape, like

	dump 0uf /dev/nrsa0 /
	dump 0uf /dev/nrsa0 /usr
	dump 0uf /dev/nrsa0 /var

and so on. If you like, let the last dump work on the rewinding tape device
(/dev/rsa0), so it turns back to the beginning. To add more files to the
tape, you can do positioning with mt (also with the on-close-do-not-rewind-
tape-device, of course, because an mt -f /dev/rsa0 fsf will forward the
tape and immediately rewind it on close). The rewind-device is the default.

Regards,

Martin
--
,,You know, there's a lot of opportunities, if you're knowing to take them,
        you know, there's a lot of opportunities, if there aren't