Date:      Fri, 18 Mar 2011 23:45:49 +0700
From:      Gua Chung Lim <gua.chunglim@gmail.com>
To:        Steve Polyack <korvus@comcast.net>
Cc:        "Sergey V. Dyatko" <sergey.dyatko@gmail.com>, freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FBSD 8.2R does not probe sound card

Thank you for your kind responses.
Though I don't understand much what you said,
I shall give you further info.

> pcm1 device is the HDMI audio output on your graphics card.  My only
> suggestion here is to play with the sysctl hw.snd.default_unit:
# tail -n 1 /etc/sysctl.conf
hw.snd.default_unit=1
(I left /boot/loader.conf untouched.)
# shutdown -r now

after reboot
# kldload snd_driver
# sysctl -d hw.snd.default_unit
hw.snd.default_unit: default sound device
# sysctl hw.snd.default_unit
hw.snd.default_unit: 0

The speakers are still quiet.
I wonder why it is still 0, even if /etc/sysctl.conf set it to 1.

> What programs are you using to test the sound output?
Just repeat backspaces at the blank command prompt.
guacl@bsdhost:~% <BS><BS><BS>...
If sound driver is functioning, the speakers should echo.
Note that the internal speaker (inside the case) does echo, for sure.

Thank you.

--
Gua Chung Lim

Please help donate to Japan.
-- for earthquake, tsunami and nuclear radiation reliefs (2011)