Date:      Fri, 05 Feb 1999 16:10:37 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Troy Settle <rewt@i-Plus.net>
Cc:        "Joseph M. Scott" <jmscott@ainet.com>, Leif Neland <root@swimsuit.internet.dk>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dummy-pop3 server

Troy Settle wrote:

> I'm trying to redirect port 110 traffic to the appropriate host.  I had
> thought that running a simple script to telnet over would do the trick,
> but at least one MUA doesn't seem to like it much (works great by telnet).
>
> Anyways, I looked at the man page for ipfw(8), and tried to figure out
> that divert thing, but it makes no sense in the context of the man page.
> Can anyone shed some light on this?

you probably want "fwd" rather than divert,
or you can possibly do it using natd(1) (or is that (8)?)

"Fwd" as a keyword in ipfw is only valid in FreeBSD 3.x/4.x
however to 'forward' to another machine you need to also run
ipfw fwd on that machine to "capture" the packet,
     [            ]                       [              ]
     [ filter box ]                       [              ]
---->[ [ipfw fwd] ]------other packets--->[ rest of net  ]
     [    |       ]                       [              ]
     [    |       ]                       [              ]

          | (forwarded packets)

     [            ]
     [ [ipfw fwd] ]
     [ [to local] ]

The reason the target machine also needs to use the 'fwd'
command is because if it doesn't the packets (which still
have their original destinations) will be bounced by that
machine back to teh original destination..

You need to over-ride the "hey this isn't for me" impulse
that it will have.
:-)

I am not sure of how to do it with natd.