Date:      Tue, 2 Jul 1996 20:16:27 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Which tools can back up inodes with 32bit minor numbers ?

It seems that J Wunsch said:
> (You will get /dev into a separate file system anytime soon.  But i
> doubt you will have any need to include it into a backup then. :-)

It would be nice to be able to dump part of a filesystem like SunOS and
Linux dumps do.

The Linux dump is a port from our dump with two modifications:

1. partial-filesystem support thru libext2fs.so.*,

2. use of the old format to be able to view or restore on something other
   than 4.4BSD as the dump in 4.4BSD-based system is only recoverable from
   another one.

Both mods were done by Rémy Card.
--
Ollivier ROBERT    -=- The daemon is FREE! -=-    roberto@keltia.freenix.fr
FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 2.2-CURRENT #12: Sun Jun 30 14:10:07 MET DST 1996