Date:      Fri, 30 Jul 1999 11:07:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Jon Drukman <jsd@gamespot.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS mounts hang system at boot time

On Fri, 30 Jul 1999, Jon Drukman wrote:

> One of my machines mounts some NFS systems when it boots.  We had a power
> failure last night and the machine that provides the NFS mounts didn't
> come back up, so the other one didn't either - I got in this morning and
> it says "NFS Portmap: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Timed out" all over
> the console.
>
> Is there any way to get the mounting machine to only try a few times
> before giving up?  Or some other way to make NFS failure less
> catastrophic?

	amd is probably your best bet here. As long as nothing in your
boot sequence relies on something on the NFS machine you will be able to
boot normally, then access the stuff on the NFS server on demand. Of
course, amd comes with its own set of problems, but things are improving
greatly in that area right now.

Good luck,

Doug
--
On account of being a democracy and run by the people, we are the only
nation in the world that has to keep a government four years, no matter