Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2001 17:04:07 -0600
From:      Lucas Bergman <lucas@slb.to>
To:        Jurriaan de Boer <jfdeboer@euronet.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Being worked on ?

> How come this still is possible in FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE...:
>
>   http://security-archive.merton.ox.ac.uk/archive-200006/0083.html
>
> [On my box network is down for ~4 minutes but luckily comes up after
> that again]

The socket buffer overflow was resolved with patches dating September
1999, since before 4.0-RELEASE, with the addition of the "sbsize"
(RLIMIT_SBSIZE) resource limit.  Just set the resource limit to some
reasonable, finite number, say 2 MB.  The reason the socket buffer
chewing exploit worked on your 4-STABLE machine is because the limit
is infinite in the default login.conf.

Kindly do your homework before mailing -bugs.

> What a crap that this hasn't been resolved yet...

What a crap, indeed.

Lucas