Date:      Mon, 18 Nov 1996 07:10:44 -0800 (PST)
From:      Nathan Lawson <nlawson@kdat.csc.calpoly.edu>
To:        dreamer@garrison.inetcan.net (Digital Dreamer)
Subject:   Re: grand alternatives to chroot, solution to the age-old root problem

> On Sun, 17 Nov 1996, az.com wrote:
>
> > No longer do you have to worry about whether they have root or not - in
> > fact each user gets to be root! (in their own machine, of course ;) ) If
> > they want to hack, get fancy, reboot, etc. - its up to them - its *their*
> > system, not yours.
> >
> > If they blow out the virtual OS space because they gave their password out
> > to a grommet or made a mistake, you simply run a utility which checks and
> > repairs virtual file system's partitions and refreshes the virtual
> > 'environment's' OS from a template.
>
> Sounds nice, but kind of impractical.  There's no unice (AFAIK) whose
> kernel could do this without essentially being rewritten.  Besides,
> there's still the possibility of kernel bugs that would let you break out
> of your vm and get into that of others.

Back when I first started using UNIX, the school had an IBM 3090 running VM.
It has virtual machines and ran AIX, CMS, and several other OS's.  All were
separate from each other and seemed to run fine, albeit a bit slowly (they
were trying to spool all the school's news through it  :)

Various trusted OS's use the VM concept.

--
Nate Lawson                  "There are a thousand hacking at the branches of
CPE Senior                    evil to one who is striking at the root."