Date:      Wed, 06 Jun 2001 15:14:30 +0100
From:      David Larkin <David.Larkin@djl.co.uk>
To:        questions@freebsd.org, hardware@freebsd.org, dirkx@covalent.net, david.larkin@DJL.co.uk
Subject:   Re: No disk found ! Hitachi DK23AA-90

Hi,
Following up from my query of last week.

I'm trying  to boot my laptop from 4.3 floppies.
I've been rumnning 2.2.8 on the same machine for over 2 years.
I'm now tryiing to install 4.3 on a new hard disk.

When I  get to the 'disk partitioning' page it says

No disk found ! Please verify that your disk controller is being properly
probed at boot time. See the hardware guide on the Documentation Menu

I tried booting from 4.3 floppies but with the disk on which I have
2.2.8 installed. The intention being to abort installation before
formatting the disk.
Again, it tells me 'No Disks found', and this disk happilly boots 2.2.8
without using boot floppies.

I then blew the dust of an old floppy labelled PAO 2.2.8 and booted
that with the new disk and this worked, allowing me to set disk partitions.

Clearly I have no intention of installing 2.2.8, but I think this indicates
that
the hardware is OK.

boot -s  reports ...

isa0:<ISA bus> on isab0
atapci0:<Intel PIIX4 ATA33 controller> port 0xfcd0-0xfcdf at device 3.1 on
pci0
ata0: at 0x1f0 irq 14 on atapci0
uhci0 ..... etc.

further down it reports ....

pccard: card inserted, slot 1
ata0-master: ata_command: timeout waiting for intr
ata0-master: identity failed

Can anyone suggest a way forward ?

Is it the 4.3 floppies ?

Can I get 4.2 floppies ?