Date:      Wed, 12 Apr 2000 19:42:39 -0600 (MDT)
From:      VINSON WAYNE HOWARD <Wayne.Vinson@Colorado.EDU>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   CS4236b on Inspiron 3200

I have a dell inspiron 3200 with a cs4236b isa non-pnp soundcard.  It
works in 3.4 with the folowing kernel lines:

device snd0
device css0 at isa? port 0x530 irq 9 drq 1 flags 0x13
device mpu0 at isa?

with a hack to  /src/sys/i386/isa/sound/sound_config.h

changing

#define DSP_DEFAULT_SPEED       8000

#define DSP_DEFAULT_SPEED       32000

Question 1: what's the implication of changin that for other soundcards?
Should it be changed in -current?

Question 2: What do I have to do to get this card to work with pcm?  I
want to get rid of the isa compatability shims before they're removed.

I've already tried

device          pcm0 at isa? irq 9 drq 1 flags 0x0

and

device          pcm0 at isa? port0x530 irq 9 drq 1 flags 0x0

with and without pnp code compiled in (not that I think it's relevant).

Trivia that might help out: Card only works with the linux 4232 driver if
it's already been initialized in Windows.  ALSA works fine.

any help would be apreciated.