Date:      Wed, 19 Sep 2001 15:21:30 +0200
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Apache+SSL+FreeBSD

On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 03:15:41PM +0200, Konrad Heuer wrote:
> Sorry for asking a rather non-FreeBSD-specific question here -- I need to
> set up an https service on a FreeBSD box and thus installed
> apache+ssl-1.3.12.1.40.
> Can I make a test certificate by myself? And which additional entries are
> typical in httpsd.conf compared to httpd.conf?

Yes you can do both easily, if you have the ports collection installed

# cd /usr/ports/www/apache13-modssl
# make
# make certificate TYPE=custom
# make install

it'll install a fully SSL aware webserver, with a certificate signed with your
on CA. This means that browsers will still complain that they don't know
the issuer of the certificate, but all communication should be encrypted.

Additional apache modules are also in /usr/ports/www/mod_*.

HTH,

--Stijn

--
"I'm not under the alkafluence of inkahol that some thinkle peep I am.
It's just the drunker I sit here the longer I get."