Date:      Thu, 15 Nov 2007 12:39:12 -0800
From:      Christopher Cowart <ccowart@rescomp.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel pty limit

--ukZ3tWq1IjZw6zEx

On Thu, Nov 15, 2007 at 02:27:47PM -0600, Kevin Kinsey wrote:
> Christopher Cowart wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I went to open up a new shell to our login server (recently rebuilt from
>> Debian to FreeBSD) and found problems allocating a new pty. With a
>> 256-pty limit, I'm surprised more people haven't had this problem. With
>> team of 8 SysAdmins, each leaving about 30 windows open in screen
>> sessions, 256 starts feeling a bit claustrophobic.=20
>=20
> Hmm, 8 guys root on one boxen?  Sounds like a "cushy" job!
> Got an IP and a couple of partners I could play xtank with?
>=20
> J/k, of course.   :-D
>> I found a questions thread from January 2006 and these PRs:
>> standards/90896: not enough PTYs in the FreeBSD
>> kern/25866: [patch] more than 256 ptys, up to 1302 ptys.
>=20
> There was also discussion on hackers@ at the time[1], and a
> mention from rwatson@ that a new tty_pts.c and support in libc
> for this was added to HEAD then[2]; I haven't checked, but I'm
> assuming it's still in the new 7 branch and will be a part
> of 7.0 Real Soon Now(tm), if that's any comfort.  There may
> be patches available, there was some discussion.  Also, if it
> *IS* in 7.0, I guess you could holler for a MFC.

I suppose that counts as Good News. Does this mean the change will be
part of the increasingly anticipated 7.0 release? In the meantime,=20
I'll have to use /dev/bat to remind the team to close their windows.

--=20
Chris Cowart
Lead Systems Administrator
Network & Infrastructure Services, RSSP-IT
UC Berkeley

--ukZ3tWq1IjZw6zEx

--ukZ3tWq1IjZw6zEx--