Date:      Mon, 4 Mar 1996 23:46:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>
Cc:        erich@lodgenet.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: C++ and wierd symbols

On Mon, 4 Mar 1996, Sean Kelly wrote:

>     Chuck> ... a tool called c++filt.
>
> Is there any chance we can get this into the base FreeBSD
> distribution ... /usr/bin/c++filt?

The only way I know how to build it is to build binutils, and it's one of
the few things in binutils that FreeBSD doesn't hack into pieces, so it
works fine.  I understand for gcc-2.7.2, they tossed it into the compiler
package (where it clearly belonged).  I don't know the legality of
busting up the binutils code, so I could excerpt the c++filt stuff.  I
asked on the list about a year ago when I first found it, but got no
straight answers.  I am uneasy about that monstrous GPL license, I'm no
lawyer and I don't want folks unhappy with me legally.

I NEEDED c++filt for a beginning c++ class at the university.  What a
lifesaver!  Anyone who codes in c++ is simply crazy not to have it.  That
is, of course, unless they never make a mistake .....

Chuck Robey chuckr@eng.umd.edu, I run FreeBSD-current on n3lxx + Journey2

Three Accounts for the Super-users in the sky,
  Seven for the Operators in their halls of fame,
Nine for Ordinary Users doomed to crie,
  One for the Illegal Cracker with his evil game
In the Domains of Internet where the data lie.
  One Account to rule them all, One Account to watch them,
  One Account to make them all and in the network bind them.