Date:      Fri, 7 Jan 2000 13:32:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Michael Maxwell <drwho@xnet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sudden crashing?

:So far, one of my servers, a BSD 3.2-R machine, has mysteriously crashed
:twice this week.  This machine functions as a gateway and firewall to our
:internet connection, so it's the most visible host here.  I use ipfw to
:block pretty much all the low ports except those we really need, such as
:ssh, ntp, smtp, etc...
:
:I don't see anything in the logs indicating what might have happened.
:
:Not only that, but ipfw *refuses* to log to syslog on this box!?!  My
:/etc/syslog.conf is an exact copy of the same file on another machine
:which DOES correctly log ipfw.
:
:Any ideas?

    The very first thing I would do is upgrade the machine to 3.4-R.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>