Date:      Sun, 9 May 1999 09:41:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Kevin G. Eliuk" <kevin_eliuk@sunshine.net>
To:        sherif bassionni <bessa310@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: about installation

On Sat, 8 May 1999, sherif bassionni wrote:

> i have been trying to do a right installation of the '3.1 stable version' of
> freeBSD which i got throught FTP form ftp3.fr.frebsd.org
> well installation from a dos partition is my choice but this does not
> seem to be a good thing to do because the installation program CAN NOT find
> the distribution files on the HDD although i did put the files in the same
> directory structure by which they were downloaded and included every thing
> in a directory called freebsd on the root of drive c:
> my H/W cofiguration is :
> -K6-233 ANR
> -Atrend ATC-5050 mother board
> -64 MB of Ram
> -540 MB HDD ,i am using an old seagate st3660a operating in LBA mode
> -Acer peripherals CD-ROM 24Xmax
> -S3 vierge display adapter
> -yamaha opl/3 sax sound board
> i tried about three times to use different options but .......
> i would be gratefull if you would tip me off what to do to get thing
> working the right way
> please reply to bessa310@hotmail.com
> thank you anyway

When running into installation or configuration problems on a release
first check the ERRATA.TXT for that release.  The following is from

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/3.1-RELEASE/ERRATA.TXT

<clip>
o  DOS installation fails when you actually follow the instructions
   to install stuff under C:\FREEBSD\BIN\... and so on.

Fix: The instructions are correct but the code was wrong in 3.1-RELEASE,
     sysinstall looking instead directly under C:\ (e.g. C:\BIN\...)
     or under C:\RELEASES\ (C:\RELEASES\BIN\... and so on).  Fixed
     in 3.1-STABLE.
</clip>

--
Regards,