Date:      Tue, 22 Jan 2002 16:16:08 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Cc:        Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely8.cicely.de>, alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is anybody actually able to netboot at the moment?

Peter Wemm writes:
 > Hmm.  can you be more specific?  Is your client box connected to the hub
 > and then routing via the freebsd router?  The reason I ask is that freebsd
 > may be more forgiving about packet construction.  I suspect the switch is
 > detecting something wrong with the packets that libstand is generating and
 > killing them before they make it out to the fabric.

I think libstand is detecting bad checksums & dropping the packets
your server is sending.  The most logical explanation I can see is
that its summing extra memory & the extra memory its summing up is 0
for Bernd and non-zero for you...  Eg, 8 months ago I saw the same netboot
binary work fine for one machine (UP1000) and fail to load a kernel on
another (AS500).   Turning off checksums allowed the kernel to load..

Drew