Date:      Mon, 1 May 1995 12:42:55 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Jeremy Chatfield <jdc@crab.xinside.com>
To:        hasty@netcom.com (Amancio Hasty Jr)
Cc:        hasty@star-gate.com, jdc@xinside.com, hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Video stuff...

Amancio Hasty Jr writes:

> >At the moment, we believe that we will have to create our own
> >extension, probably building an API that will be a compatible
> >extension of the X Video extension.  We will also need a device
>
> Tnks, I am thinking about similar lines. My first cut at this
> problem will be to just have a simple app that can control the
> video overlay window and the mpeg stream. The second round will be
> two modify the X video extensions to allow us to feed it mpeg data.
>
> Thanks again for your input :)

We expect to start publishing our interface specs in a few months,
when Release 1.2 is finally out of the door.  I don't know what time
requirements you have, but you might want to look at our API.  It
would reduce some of the incompatibility madness that afflicts the
UNIX derivative environments...  We'd certainly be prepared to look
at your specs, and we may even be able to provide some suggestions
with only mildly annoying criticism ;-)

I think that you will need to develop much of the X Video spec
API initially, since you probably want to have a superset of that
functionality with the added capability of MPEG feed and controls.
We found that it took us several months to bring to acceptable
quality.

Cheers, JeremyC.
--
Jeremy Chatfield, +1(303)470-5302, FAX:+1(303)470-5513, email:jdc@xinside.com
        X Inside Inc, P O Box 10774, Golden, CO 80401-0610, USA.