Date:      Thu, 11 Jun 1998 13:17:25 +0200
From:      "IBS / Andre Oppermann" <andre@pipeline.ch>
To:        "Andras Tudos - Computronic, C3" <andras.tudos@computronic.hu>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG, marci@c3.hu
Subject:   Re: file system performance

Andras Tudos - Computronic, C3 wrote:

> At 11:50 98.06.11 +0200, IBS / Andre Oppermann wrote:
> >Andras Tudos - Computronic, C3 wrote:
> >>
> >> We are setting up a largish qmail based mail server. We are using 3
> >> frontend machines (PII-233, 128Mb, FreeBSD 2.2.6) to accept incoming smtp
> >> mail and to service pop3 user requests. The mailboxes are on the backend
> >> machine (PII-400, 128Mb, FreeBSD 2.2.6, external HW RAID array on UW SCSI)
> >> and are shared via NFS. All PCs are on a 100Mbps switched LAN.
> >>
> >> The problem: file system performance (either measured over NFS or on the
> >> local RAID array). We can get 1.6Mbps when continuosly copying 1-2K files
> >> and 44Mbps when copying (dd) /dev/zero. The later is perfect, but the
> >> former is too low. We tried almost all options (sync and async mode), but
> >> couldn't get it higher. With this performance the server can deliver about
> >> 700,000 messages per day (measured with simulated mail load), which is less
> >> than required (on long term).
> >
> >Get rid of NFS for incoming mail. NFS IMO does writes syncronously.
> >

> But as I pointed out, we see practically NO difference in the performance
> whether /home is mounted over NFS or used locally. The problem is that
> there seems to be a upper limit which we reach when we're doing small file
> copies (actually copying real mail sample taken from /home) to the RAID
> array. Today we will experiment with fine tuning of the ext. RAID
> controller (CMD5440).

What type of RAID do you have (I assume RAID 5)?
Is the CMD5440 an external RAID controller or internal?

> >> Any ideas how to improve performance?
> >
> >Let the front-end boxes accept incoming SMTP mail and then use QMQP to
> >deliver all that stuff to the mailstore box which does local delivery.
> >
> It could help, if we could get much better local delivery performance on
> the backend...

I see.

> >The other point is POP3 access... I think there's no way around NFS but
> >that should'nt be so problematic since POP3 does only read and delete
> >which is not so bad over NFS.
> >
> Yes, POP3 load is not that bad. The big problem is the periodic huge
> incoming load caused by user subscriptions to various mailing lists (we
> have ~60000 mailboxes at the moment and it is linearly growing by ~7500
> each month). We have to reach a better peak local delivery performance than
> the current one to keep the "sitting in the queue" time at an acceptable
> level.

What sits in the queue? Incoming mail?

--
Andre Oppermann

CEO / Geschaeftsfuehrer
Internet Business Solutions Ltd. (AG)
Hardstrasse 235, 8005 Zurich, Switzerland
Fon +41 1 277 75 75 / Fax +41 1 277 75 77
http://www.pipeline.ch    ibs@pipeline.ch