Date:      Mon, 20 May 1996 11:51:04 -0400
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        John Clark <jrclark@felix.iupui.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   SMC EtherPower 10/100 (PCI) -- NOT

<<On Mon, 20 May 1996 09:54:09 -0500, John Clark <jrclark@felix.iupui.edu> said:

> I see "Jordan's Picks" include the SMC EtherPower 10/100 (PCI).  Sounds like
> a great card, however, I do NOT see it listed in the 2.1-RELEASE kernel
> config file, or is it hiding as a DEC board?

Yes.  The NIC on this board is a DC21140 Fast Ethernet chip.  We have
a few of the 10-Mbit (21040 or 21041) cards from SMC, but all of our
Fast Ethernet stuff is DE500-XA or Intel EE Pro/100B.  We have found
that the DEC chip performs much better in our tests than the i82557 on
the Intel boards, but this may be the fault of our (Intel-made)
motherboards or a result of insufficient driver tuning.

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.