Date:      27 Mar 2003 16:08:23 +0200
From:      Etienne Ledoux <etienne@unix.za.org>
To:        Michael Richards <michael@fastmail.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multiple Firewalls with ipfilter?

I guess this idea isn't as good but it worked for me.

I used ipf (ipfw or anything else should work too) with freevrrpd.

Both master and slave firewalls are exactly the same except for my
second firewall had to extra rules right at the top:

# Allow all established connections
pass in quick proto tcp all flags A/SA keep state keep frags
pass out quick proto tcp all flags A/SA keep state keep frags
#pass in quick proto udp all keep state keep frags
#pass out quick proto udp all keep state keep frags

This automatically created the state entries for established connections
as soon as the other firewall goes down. But I guess most people won't
like having those rules in their rulebase.

e.