Date:      Wed, 12 Jun 1996 01:01:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
To:        FREEBSD-CURRENT-L <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   syslogd can't create /dev/log?

    Here's another odd problem with 2.2-960501-SNAP... I can't seem to
get syslogd to run:

# syslogd -d
syslogd: cannot create /dev/log: Address already in use
logmsg: pri 53, flags 4, from zap, msg syslogd: cannot create
/dev/log: Address already in use
Logging to CONSOLE /dev/console
cannot create /dev/log (0)

    One one machine, the mod date on /var/log/messages is 2:00 am one
night ago.  At the same time, newsyslog reported this via cron:

> newsyslog: preposterous process number: 0
> newsyslog: preposterous process number: 0
> newsyslog: preposterous process number: 0

    That was caused by /var/run/syslog.pid not being there (and
syslog_pid is initialized to 0 in newsyslog.c).  On another machine,
the logs stopped at 8:13pm later that day (when newsyslog normally
does not run).  The last few messages recorded in each aren't very
helpful (usual stuff about people logging in or sendmail-related
stuff).

    I'm not sure what the first error line from syslogd means... fstat
doesn't show anything holding that inode open, and netstat doesn't
show anyone listening on port 514/udp.  /dev/log is there, as is
/dev/klog.  The weird thing is that a reboot doesn't solve the
problem, and it *was* running just fine for a little while.

--
Brian Tao (BT300, taob@io.org, taob@ican.net)
Systems and Network Administrator, Internet Canada Corp.