Date:      Mon, 19 Mar 2001 09:28:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Cc:        will@physics.purdue.edu
Subject:   Re: Anoncvs support (was Re: NO MORE '-BETA')

In article <20010319081846.A61859@ohm.physics.purdue.edu>,
Will Andrews  <will@physics.purdue.edu> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 19, 2001 at 12:32:13AM -0800, David O'Brien wrote:
> > CVSup's checkout mode has been around longer than FreeBSD has offered
> > anoncvs service.
>
> A service which, IMO, is still not very well supported.  That's probably
> one reason why it's hard to get new developers (not everyone feels like
> syncing the entire repo).  But then again, I wonder how much load there
> is on anoncvs.freebsd.org.  Still, would be nice to have more than one
> anoncvs server, since not everyone's in the U.S.A.

Would you like to take over maintainership of the anoncvs services?
It somehow got dropped in my lap, and it is certainly not something I
ever wanted to be responsible for.  I am too busy already taking care
of the CVSup mirrors.

It is extremely hard to support more than just a few simultaneous
anoncvs clients at once on one server.  You need screaming fast
hardware and a monstrous RAM disk just to handle 4-6 of them.

John