Date:      Thu, 13 May 1999 17:35:03 -0600
From:      Colin Eric Johnson <colinj@cs.unm.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   CD Images and Bootable CDs

I have a couple of questions about CD Images for FreeBSD and making
bootable CDs.

I'm interested in knowing if there are available copies of the images that
are used to make the CDs that Walnut Creek ships. I do realize that Walnut
Creek is a business. I work for the dept. of Computer Science hear at UNM
and would like to be able to give students the option of writing CDs for
FreeBSD (since they can get them for about $1.00/per disk). I realize that
I can purchase the CDs and make images myself, and I am also willing to do
this unless that would be out of line.

Ok, that was question number one.

Question number two.

I'd like to be able to make a CD image of the root partition on a FreeBSD
box such that it is a bootable CD so that if the disk were damaged,
corrupted or comprimised I could boot the machine with known safe media.
I've been looking at the tools like mkhybrid and mkisofs to produce CD
images from directories, what I am not sure about is what to use for the
bootable image. What I would like is something with a bit more space then
a boot floppy. I'm thinking that with a bootable CD with a root file
system on it I could have enough tools to bring a machine on line.

thoughts?

Colin E. Johnson | colinj@unm.edu | http://www.unm.edu/~colinj/
The more laws and order are made prominent, the more thieves and
robbers there will be.
		-- Lao Tsu