Date:      Thu, 12 Aug 1999 16:22:00 GMT
From:      "Kave p.Ram" <hotkaveh@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   windowmaker problem

FreeBSD 3.1 Release : ports->x11-wm->windowmaker problem.

Hello !

I fail when I try to run windowmaker window manager.
I've installed it from Ports/Packages CD of FreeBSD 3.1 Release
by running /stand/sysinstall as root -> post install packages.

The /stand/sysinstall program reports succesfull installation.
but it leaves me with a broken symbolic link to libwraster.so.1 .

this is what I get when I try `wmakerī as default window manager
in .xinitrc :

/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libwraster.so.1" not found .

bash $ locate libwraster
/usr/X11R6/lib/libwraster.a
/usr/X11R6/lib/libwraster.la
/usr/X11R6/lib/libwraster.so

bash $ file /usr/X11R6/lib/libwraster*
/usr/X11R6/lib/libwraster.a:  current ar archive
/usr/X11R6/lib/libwraster.la: English text
/usr/X11R6/lib/libwraster.so: broken symbolic link to libwraster.so.1

I think it means I have static library but no dynamic library of libwraster?
when I read the FAQ of wmaker , this is what I see as fix in case
wmaker is unable to locate libwraster.so.1 :
ldconfig -m /usr/local/lib

but this doesn't solve the lack of dynamic library problem , I guess
it just tells wmaker where libwraster.so.1 is located.

do I have to compile-build the windowmaker ?
(I did install all the packages belong to windowmaker package -
from /stand/sysinstall)

thanx for any suggestion :-)
/kave