Date:      Tue, 13 Feb 2001 09:16:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      Joseph Scott <joseph@randomnetworks.com>
To:        <supenguin@bigfoot.com>
Cc:        <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Handspring.

On Fri, 9 Feb 2001, Kenny Drobnack wrote:

# Do you mean getting FreeBSD ported to the Handspring, or do you mean
# using FreeBSD to sync with it?  As for porting FreeBSD to it it sounds
# like Brooks knows what he's talking about.  As far as syncing a
# Handspring Visor with FreeBSD - dunno. Tried using the coldsync program
# which was meant for syncing Palm Pilots, and the coldsync web page
# claims that it works with Visors too.  When I run coldsync, I get a
# message "Please press the hotsync button" and when I hit the button I
# get the message two more times, and then either it locked up or the
# whole system locks up.  Same results using a serial cradle instead of
# the USB cradle that came with it.  I noticed Linux has a Handspring
# Visor driver, not sure what's up with that.

	I've been using J-Pilot (which uses pilot-link port to actually
talk to the Visor) to sync with my Visor.  I've only used the serial link,
but I believe the USB link would work also.

#
# > >       What are the chances of porting to this baby?
# >
# > None what so ever.  The processor on the Handsping (and all other current
# > PalmOS based devices) doesn't have an MMU and most UNIX-like OSes assume
# > you have one.  There is a Linux port of some sort and I've heard mention
# > that there's some intrest in the NetBSD community, but itty-bitty,
# > feature-poor processors don't really fit with FreeBSD's server/embedded
# > (generally high-end embedded systems) focus.  In the future there may
# > be PalmOS based devices that you could port FreeBSD to, but that will
# > be after then finish the hardware abstraction layer.  Once someone gets
# > around to doing the work, the StrongARM port should work on HP iPAQs,
# > but that's not what you were asking.
# >
# > -- Brooks
# >
# > --
# > Any statement of the form "X is the one, true Y" is FALSE.
# >
# > To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org
# > with "unsubscribe freebsd-hackers" in the body of the message
#
#