Date:      Thu, 06 Jan 2000 15:46:42 +0200
From:      Oren Sarig <sarig@bezeqint.net>
To:        ray dean <mrpiccolo@ifreedom.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A Newbie

Go to http://www.freebsd.org/ and choose "Getting FreeBSD" on the
left.

--
Oren Sarig
sarig@bezeqint.net.il

----- Original Message -----
From: ray dean <mrpiccolo@ifreedom.com>
To: <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Thursday, January 06, 2000 12:39 AM
Subject: A Newbie

> As the subject said I am a newbie, to unix and to the whole ftp
thing in geneal.  I have no knowledge of ftp or even how to download
ftp files.  I have wanted to try Linux for a while now but haven't
been able to due this lack of knowledge.  After doing a little
research I found out about FreeBSD, I have done some comparisons and
decided that FreeBSD was a better choice, but I'm still faced with the
same dilema.  I don't however, have the money to buy the cd-rom so I
have opted to download from your ftp server.  I have tried to download
the files I thought I needed, but when opened them they were merely
text files.   What did I do wrong?  Could you please tell which files
I need to get started and how to boot from floppies? I was wondering
if you could send me some download instructions for ftp.  Also, I am
currently running Windows95 on a 100mhz system with 16mb of ram this
is the system I am planning to install FreeBSD on, in the handbook you
say that your OS is compatible with MS-DOS is this also true wit