Date:      Wed, 19 Dec 2007 14:46:07 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        <davids@webmaster.com>
Cc:        Rob <bitabyss@gmail.com>, FreeBSD Chat <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>, Andrew Falanga <af300wsm@gmail.com>
Subject:   RE: Suggestions please for what POP or IMAP servers to use

Oh brother.

> This would require a kind of foresight on Gates' part that he
> simply didn't
> have.
>
> It really doesn't matter whether Bill Gates genuinely feared that the
> Internet

First it was "Microsoft feared"  Now it's "Bill Gates feared"

> could topple his OS monopoly by making OS unimportant or
> if he was
> just covering his bases. The fact is, he acted to leverage his Windows
> monopoly to kill IE

Now your just so carried away that you aren't even paying attention
to what your writing.  "leverage windows to kill IE?"

> You may find some evidence to suggest that Microsoft thought that the
> browser might be a way to control other markets. For example, if your
> browser defaults to your portal, then your book selling site might have an
> advantage over a competitor's. It's quite possible that this also
> motivated
> Microsoft to think winning the browser wars was important.
>
> There is just no evidence that root key issues had any role in the browser
> wars. Ted insists they did against all evidence.

The root key issue that your so hung up on was a single example cited
by me in a response to Chuck Robey's statement that Microsoft is "giving
away" IE.  Go back and re-read it.  Notice that I DID NOT say in that post
that this was the ONLY way that Microsoft makes money of IE.  It is you
that has somehow jumped to the conclusion that I was asserting this is
the ONLY way Microsoft makes money off IE.  There's plenty other ways.

Ted