Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 2002 17:33:48 +0300 (EAT)
From:      Patrick J Okui <pokui@one2net.co.ug>
To:        MET <met@uberstats.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: MS Outlook data transfer

On Wed, 7 Aug 2002, MET wrote:

> I've been using Outlook for the past few years now (yell at me later)
> and have recently picked up a brand new laptop which I'm installing
> FreeBSD on today.  What I'm basically wondering.....is there a way to
> get all of my massive archived mail from my Win2k desktop running
> Outlook onto a good GUI mailer app for FreeBSD (Evolution preferably) ?
> Or am I just going to have to start from scratch ?

most GUI mailer apps for Un*X have an 'imprt' utility .. somewhere under
the "Options" menu that will correctly 'import' your mail.

Alternatively, you can pipe the file through formail (man formail) and it
will convert the .eml file into a mailbox format which you can save as
your /var/mail/<username> ... making it available for even pine.

something like
formail -ds <outlook.eml >> /var/mail/USERNAME

HTH

Patrick J Okui
Systems Administrator
One2Net Uganda Limited.