Date:      Wed, 26 Dec 2007 00:38:11 -0500
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi+kde@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: usb/umass, devfs: this sucks

On =D3=D5=C2=CF=D4=C1 22 =C7=D2=D5=C4=C5=CE=D8 2007, Mike Tancsa wrote:
=3D Perhaps its the one card reader you are using is particularly=20
=3D problematic ? I have been using the multi-type cheapo reader below=20
=3D for some time

Perhaps. But /nothing/ excuses devfs hanging for 25 minutes. Nothing. It=20
should be more resilient to such problems. It should be possible to interru=
pt=20
a hung operation too.

=3D We go through the following steps when using it. =9AWe always plug the=
=20
=3D reader in without a card. Then we put the card in and do a
=3D cat /dev/null > /dev/da1
=3D ... or whatever the device is. =9AIts been quite reliable this way for =
us.
=3D The other caveat is never to pull the card or reader when its mounted.

Yes, I go through these steps too and am also aware of the caveat(s). And i=
t=20
sucks (see Subject), that one has to keep all of this in mind in order to=20
perform a trivial operation: transfer a few pictures from a media card to=20
their home directory.

If we want people to give FreeBSD a try in good faith, it is both profoundl=
y=20
stupid and dishonest on our part to claim, we have a working USB-system... =
It=20
does not matter, how great our buffer-sharing VM is, if a home user can't=20
process their photos with a FreeBSD-powered computer.

	-mi