Date:      Sun, 25 Oct 1998 19:06:20 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Khetan Gajjar <khetan@chain.freebsd.os.org.za>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Older version detection

Hi.

I just had a query. Is it normal that a port with dependencies not
check that earlier versions of the dependent ports exist ?

I maintain several "old" boxes, and have a problem with people
installing newer versions of ports without correctly deleting
the older ones. When asked, they don't know about installing the
newer port. After some thinking, it's discovered that the
installation of a port with dependencies installs the
newer port without any sort of warning that an older version
of the port exists.

I presume the simplest way to do this would be for the machine
sysadmin (ie me) to install everything, but it would be easier
if the ports building process at least gave some sort of
warning.

Hopefully this is a reasonably sane idea (sounds pretty sane to
me).

Thanks.
---
Khetan Gajjar       (!kg1779) * khetan@iafrica.com ; khetan@os.org.za
http://www.os.org.za/~khetan  * Talk/Finger khetan@chain.freebsd.os.org.za
UUNET Internet Africa Support * FreeBSD enthusiast-www2.za.freebsd.org
FreeBSD is like a wigwam - no windows, no gates, apache inside!