Date:      Sun, 27 Oct 2002 07:50:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-bugs-local@be-well.no-ip.com>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: misc/44532: /usr/share/examples/cvsup/doc-supfile gives a bad path

The following reply was made to PR misc/44532; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-bugs-local@be-well.no-ip.com>
To: Kim Scarborough <sluggo@housecat.unknown.nu>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: 27 Oct 2002 10:45:01 -0500

 Kim Scarborough <sluggo@unknown.nu> writes:

 > 	The example cvsup file for docs defaults to putting stuff in /usr/doc. Surely it should be
 > 	/usr/share/doc?

 No.  What you downloaded through cvsup is the *source* for the
 documents, not the output.  This is exactly the same as cvsup'ing
 the main system and having it put into /usr/src.  If you want to
 build the documents from source, you need to install the docproj
 port.  If all you want is updates to /usr/share/doc, then I
 recommend downloading the documentation directly, as described
 (for example) in the front page of the FreeBSD handbook.

                               The latest version of this document is always
    available from the FreeBSD web site. It may also be downloaded in a
    variety of formats and compression options from the FreeBSD FTP server or
    one of the numerous mirror sites. If you would prefer to have a hard copy
    of the handbook, you can purchase one at the FreeBSD Mall. You may also
    want to search the handbook.