Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 2002 05:51:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, ijliao@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        ijliao@csie.nctu.edu.tw
Subject:   Re: installworld fail

>Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 19:04:28 +0800
>From: Ying-Chieh Liao <ijliao@FreeBSD.ORG>

>On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 00:06:59 +0800, Ying-Chieh Liao wrote:
>> I'm in DP2, and cvsup and then make world...
>> <error messages>
>> if [ -L /usr/share/examples/sunrpc ]; then  rm -f /usr/share/examples/sunrpc;  fi
>> if [ -L /usr/share/examples/worm ]; then  rm -f /usr/share/examples/worm;  fi
>> mtree -deU   -f /usr/src/share/examples/../../etc/mtree/BSD.usr.dist -p /usr
>> /tmp/install.UiNprj9F/mtree: 1: Syntax error: "(" unexpected

>maybe there's something wrong with mfs...

>error occurs when I mount tmp as a mfs
>and after I switch tmp to a "real harddisk", it's all ok

Yes (well, it's an "md" device in -CURRENT); I reported this to
-current on 12 November.

I have since done some additional experiments:

* The failure always appears to be associated with corruption of an
  executable image; "file" reports "data" (vs. "... executable ...").

* I have never seen the failure on my SMP machine; I always (since
  around 09 Nov) see it on my (UP) laptop (unless I run a script in
  parallel with the installworld).

* The failure is independent of single- or multi-user mode.

As alluded to above, if I run a script that periodically looks at each
of the files in the directory in question, that seems to avoid the
corruption/symptoms.  I'll append a copy of the script I've used most
recently after my .sig; you may find it of interest to try running it in
parallel with the installworld if you see the behavior in question.

Cheers,
david       (links to my resume at http://www.catwhisker.org/~david)
I have no confidence in results obtained through the use of Microsoft products.

#! /bin/sh

until (test -d /tmp/install.*)
  do
    sleep 10
  done

until (file /tmp/install.*/* | grep data)
  do
    sleep 3
    if [ ! -d /tmp/install.* ]; then
      exit 0