Date:      Thu, 03 Aug 2000 15:23:55 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Mailer-Daemon@probity.mcc.ac.uk: Mail delivery failed: returning  message to sender]

j mckitrick wrote:

> in a previous message it was explained that 'dangerously dedicated' is called
> that because sometimes the BIOS will not recognize a boot block without a
> valid slice table.  Does this affect my being able to reformat the HD and
> reinstall windows if i ever sell my laptop?  Or am i stuck with freeBSD
> forever on this drive?

Yes! No! You have to do something before you sell it. I had a DD drive
(3 actually) that wouldn't boot past the bios doing the early enquiry
to the drives. If I used DD it would hang. It didn't get close to
actually booting. I walked down the drives as I removed DD. Since I
couldn't boot from even a floppy, removal was called LLF, i.e, Low
Level Format. The LLF program from the manufacturer would do an IDE
LLF at the I/O & IRQ level and didn't require a boot. You had to
remove the drive from the bios but still leave it attached.

I started calling DD dangerously DUMB. I thought the people that had
created it had reached their Peter principal and the manufacturers had
done a dance around them. I really think the manufacturers had gone
clueless but that is what I had available to purchase.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kbstew99@hotmail.com

Bomber dropping fire retardant in front of Hanford Wild fire.
http://kstewart.urx.com/kstewart/bomber.jpg