Date:      Tue, 6 Aug 1996 12:42:58 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, jdp@polstra.com
Subject:   Re: Announcing CVSup: Intelligent SUP Replacement

> > > Speaking of history, the cvs log files might represent a problem.  I
> > > hadn't thought about them.
> >
> > You don't need to write into them locally.  The CVS on freefall has
> > tweaked scripts to leave the information there.
>
> I meant the revision history of the files in a local branch when they
> are integrated into the main line tree ...or doesn't the main line tree
> need the revision history from the contributor?

The 'history' of the files still exist in the files themselves, it just
won't be logged into the files in $CVSROOT/CVSROOT.  There's really no
way to allow both remote developers and local developers to write to the
same file since the commitlog file is a straight text file.

In any case, it's a moot point since all of the history still exists in
the modified files themselves.

Also note that the 'history' file which contains the timestamps of
checkout, merges, etc.. is not being kept anymore since no-one was using
'cvs release' correctly, which is necessary for accurate usage of the
history file.

Nate