Date:      Mon, 10 Jun 2002 15:26:28 -0700
From:      chip.wiegand@simrad.com
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   gui editors - mostly just griping (you've been warned) I gotta vent somewhere.

I have spent a large part of my day trying various gui editors, trying to
find one that will actually work the way
it should. I have been using gnotepad+, but it crashes too much, so I
changed to bluefish, but it also is quite
unstable. Today I installed glimmer, cooledit, peacock and screem. All from
the ports. All I really want is an
editor that will copy/paste/undo/redo, search/replace, syntax highlight for
html/php, keep the prefences from
one session to the next, I don't need wizards and icons and other wizbang
things, just a stable app that I can
leave running all day if necessary, come back to it and it will still be
running waiting patiently for me to do
some more editing. If I remember correctly, kwrite, or kadvanced editor,
was pretty good, but since it can only
be installed as part of kde, not seperately at all, I don't have it. (I
tried to install KDE 2 and KDE3 both from the
ports but they both failed, oh well, I don't care for it anyway).

Glimmer - I adjust the preferences to my liking, but the program will not
save them from one session to the
next, whether I start it as user or root, doesn't matter.

Cooledit - I highlight a section of text and press the delete key and only
one letter gets deleted, not the whole
section that is highlighted.

Screem - the image wizard doesn't work, the link wizard doesn't work,  the
color wizard doesn't work, the mail
wizard doesn't work. The open file icon doesn't work. When the file is
opened from menu file/open the text is
all blue and black, no syntax highlighting, even though it is configured to
do syntax highlighting.

Peacock - no syntax highlighting (may not be implemented, but I don't know
because the preferences also
is not implemented). Also no undo function, this alone makes it unusable.

Bluefish I like, but as mentioned above, it is just too unstable. I can put
up with it by saving my work every minute
or two, just in case. It does have a lot of features, icons, that I never
use, but that's no big deal. There's a
windoze app called HTML-Edit by Chami, if that was available on BSD I'd be
in heaven. :-) Supposedly it works
via wine, but not very stable, and quite slow, I've tried it.

Anyway, I just had to get this off my mind, vent a little, if you read this
far, thanks for listening. I don't expect any
NT environment trying to get as much
use as I can from my FreeBSD box, or I may loose it. That'd be a drag.
Regards,
--
Chip Wiegand
Computer Services

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
     --Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment
Corporation, 1977
 (They why do I have 9? Somebody help me!)