Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 1997 10:29:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Kimmo Leskinen <kimmo@website1.carelian.fi>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1.5 packages on 2.1.7

On Sat, 22 Feb 1997, Kimmo Leskinen wrote:

> I have 2.1.5 installed and also 2.1.5 CD. I'll get 2.1.7 src-dir and i'll do
> 'make world' trick. Is there any security/other reasons i have to reinstall
> packages or compile from ports.

Where is the 'make world trick' documented?  That is the really hard way
of doing things.  Just boot the boot floppy for the new release and select
the 'upgrade' option and save yourself a lot of diskspace and headaches.

You need to purge the old crt0.o from all compiled programs.  If it
bothers you, then yes you'll need to rebuild all your ports.  Otherwise
they will work fine.