Date:      Tue, 09 Jul 1996 23:20:55 +0100
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        cschuber@orca.gov.bc.ca
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CERT Advisory CA-96.13 - Vulnerability in the dip program

Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group wrote in message ID
<199607092134.OAA16884@passer.osg.gov.bc.ca>:
> I believe that the dip program used under FreeBSD is the same program as
> described below.  We're probably vulnerable.

Apparently not. We don't have `dip' in our base system (we use `tip'
and `cu', the more traditional (if they could be called that)
interfaces. The `dip' port isn't based on the linux one, and from the
package that was on the 2.1.0-RELEASE CDROM:

-r-xr-xr-x bin/bin       36864 Oct  7 00:33 1995 sbin/dip
-r-xr-xr-x bin/bin           0 Oct  7 00:33 1995 sbin/diplogin link to sbin/dip

   ^  ^
Note the distinct lack of SUID bits ...

Gary