Date:      Mon, 27 Aug 101 09:29:34 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        oberman@es.net (Kevin Oberman)
Cc:        reader@newsguy.com, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Frustrating network problem - need diagnotic help

>> "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net> writes:
> If you tweak the software to assign a MAC address to the something
> else that is locally administered (different from setting the MAC to
> the globally unique address of some older interface that failed), the
> hex would be: a:0:2b:3f:a5:15 (not that anyone does this any longer
> and there is no reason to assume that any part of the hardware MAC
> would be used if you are using a locally administered MAC).

Actually, once you've set the second bit (mask 0x04), the other 46 bits
can be anything you want them to be =and= you assume the responsibility
for assuring they are unique within your collision domain.

And, I don't recall a rule that says you can't have a multicast
source address (though my 802.3 book is at the office).  So, I'd
agree that the source address he's reporting is most probably
borked, but if that first byte were 0x03 (vs 0x01) he'd probably be
legal.  But that's also probably not what he wants...

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.net