Date:      Thu,  3 Aug 2000 17:44:07 -0500
From:      Gerd Knops <gerti@bitart.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Hardening system via RO filesystems?

Hi,

I have a lot of FreeBSD systems in the field that frequently
experience power outages do to a variety of reasons that can't be
easily fixed with a UPS and auto-shutdown etc.

My goal is to keep those systems remotely accessible at all times. But
sometimes a 'hard down' causes file system corruption that requires a
manual fsck run.

Now I have encapsulated the 'work' partition by actually mounting it
via a fault tolerant rc script that notifies me if it wasn't able to
fsck or mount the partition.

That leaves the system partitions. Would the following schema be
advisable, and did anyone experiment with it:

a) system uses 3 partitions: /, /usr, /var
b) During normal operation, only var is mounted RW, / and /usr are mounted RO
c) rc is modified to run a 'fsck -y' on the /var partition when needed

I realize that this could cause data loss on /var, but I'd rather
loose some log files than the ability to remotely access the system.

Comments anyone?

And am I correct to assume that a RO mounted FS is not marked 'dirty'?

Thanke and regards

Gerd