Date:      Sun, 10 Dec 2000 09:18:48 -0500 (EST)
From:      <stanb@panix.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org (Free BSD Questions list)
Subject:   Help _PLEASE_ 3rdrequest frustration == MAX

	I am setting up 4 recycled HP Vectras for use at work. Sure is nice m$
	keeps providing me with free computers, as they get more and more
	resource hungr :-)

	3 of them are P75's, and 1 is a P90 The P75'a have BIOS'es
	D.08.01,D.06.03, and D.08.03. I am isntalling brand new Quantam 20G IDE
	drives as the only thing on the IDE busses (No CD's).

	When I look in Setup on all the P75's, I see that they are detecting
	the disks as 8468MB 16383/63/16 preload -116382 Ther is an XL flag
	which is on on some, and off on oters.

	All these machines boot fine after I do an install (from the hard
	disks). The P90 however I have been unable to get to boot after
	repeated installs :-(

	It Has BIOS version GT.07.02. The setup screen here has many more
	options related to hard disk. First It wan'ts to know if I want to use
	"Standard" or,"Extended" transfer methi\od. Rhere is a note that
	"Standard" might need to be used on "UNIX" systems, I think this might
	mean SCO. This option is gloabal to all the IDE controlers/disks on the
	machine.

	On a per disk bassis, the choces are:

	Multi Sector Transfers: disable/2/4/8/16
	LBA mode control enabled/disabled
	32 bit I/O Enabled/Disbaled
	Transfer mode standard/Fast Pio 1,2,3, or 4

	Considering it takes about 30 to 45 minutes to do a minimal install to
	test each choice, and that there are a lareg number of choices :-( I
	could be here a while (days ?).

	Can some kkind soul that understands the hardware issues here, pleas
	educate me?

	Thanks!

	At this point in time, i have also tyried the following additional
	things.

	1. Tried to install on a 4G drive in this machine.

	2. Tries a 20G from one of the P75's in tis machien.

	Neither of them worked.

	The 4G drive when I first put it in, booted NT (don't ask what taht was
	doing on the drive :)), so I know the machien is OK.

	I feel relativley certain that if I cna get in touch with some kind
	soul thatactually understands the boot process, this can be made to
	work.

	Please someone make some sugeations. My frustration level is quite high
	at the moment!

--
Stan Brown     stanb@panix.com                                    843-745-3154
Charleston SC