Date:      Thu, 21 Jun 2007 01:21:20 -0500
From:      Novembre <novembre@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   DRM on VIA CLE266 and FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE

Hello,

I have a Pentium III-S 1.40GHz system which has a VIA CLE266 chipset, and I
have installed 6.2-RELEASE on it. On this machine, X.org 7.2 is running
happily except for the lack of DRI. I have done some searching, and it seems
that ( according to
http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/FreeBSD?highlight=%28CategoryOperatingSystem%29)
DRM is still not available for this chipset,
i.e. VIA CLE266 is not in the list.

Below is the message I get in Xorg.0.log:
----------
(II) VIA(0): 3D Engine has been initialized.
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such file or directory)
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such file or directory)
drmOpenDevice: Open failed
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such file or directory)
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such file or directory)
drmOpenDevice: Open failed
[drm] failed to load kernel module "via"
(II) VIA(0): [drm] drmOpen failed
(EE) VIA(0): [dri] DRIScreenInit failed.  Disabling DRI.
I tried loading the 'drm' kernel module, but it cannot detect anything. Does
this mean that there's no hope for DRI on this chipset?
Thanks