Date:      Thu, 03 Aug 2000 15:52:10 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Oscar Ricardo Silva <oscars@mail.utexas.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Errors in upgrading from 4.0 to 4.1

Oscar Ricardo Silva wrote:

> So I need to do the following:
>
> make buildworld
> make the kernel using buildkernel and installkernel
> make installworld
>
> in that order?  I thought I had read the /usr/src/UPDATING but I must have
> been "selectively reading" because I missed that huge part that says:
>
> 20000706:
>          Binutils were updated.  In order to build a kernel after this
>          date, you must follow the updating procedure for building
>          kernels exactly as presented here.  You may be able to get away
>          with doing it the old way, but if it breaks, make sure that you've
>          tried the "To build a kernel" section with a fresh /usr/obj
>          first.
>
> OK, I'm running "make buildworld" right now.  I've already copied GENERIC
> to another file and edited that.  When buildworld is done then I'll rebuild
> the kernel in the above manner and then "make installworld".

I was one of the first people bit by O'Brien's update to /binutils.
Warner pointed out that I needed to be doing the buildkernel
installkernel and it has worked for me ever since. I quit responding
to people that argued. The buildkernel sequence has worked on all of
my machines since the /binutils were upgraded.

The only thing I did was create a shell script to move the kernel from
something like OPAL to kernel. I got lazy at that point :).

Kent

> Does this procedure now look correct?
>
> Oscar
>
> At 09:35 PM 8/2/00 -0700, Kent Stewart, you wrote:
>
> >Oscar Ricardo Silva wrote:
> > >
> > > I was attempting to upgrade a computer from 4.0 to 4.1 but received errors
> > > running "make world".  Based on some suggestions from here, I've also
> > tried:
> > >
> > > make buildworld
> > > make includes
> > > make installworld
> > >
> > > make buildworld
> > > make -k installworld
> > > make installworld
> > >
> > > all with the same results (error messages at end of message).
> > >
> > > Just to make sure I was doing this right I started re-reading some of the
> > > documentation.  I also have more than enough space available on all
> > > slices.  In the past, I would upgrade the source, run "make world", rebuild
> > > the kernel and then reboot.  So this time, I broke it down a little
> > > further.  I did the following:
> > >
> > > 1.  Downloaded the source (I even cleaned out the /usr/src directory as
> > > well as /usr/opt)
> > > 2.  Ran "make buildworld (this always runs without a problem)
> > > 3.  Rebuilt the kernel (edited kernel file, ran config, then make clean,
> > > make depend, make, make install)
> >
> >Did you try reading /usr/src/UPDATING because you aren't succeeding
> >and it suggests trying the buildkernel and installkernel route. It
> >makes modules that you need updated. It has always worked for me after
> >cvsuping from 4.0-stable to 4.1-stable.
> >
> >Kent

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kbstew99@hotmail.com

Bomber dropping fire retardant in front of Hanford Wild fire.
http://kstewart.urx.com/kstewart/bomber.jpg