Date:      Fri, 12 Nov 1999 11:53:01 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs Linux ppp

Jonathon McKitrick wrote:

> On 12 Nov 1999, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
>
> >Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org> writes:
> >
> >> I've heard that ppp is almost the same between the two, and i've heard
> >> that they are very different.  Is there any substantial difference
> >> between linux and fbsd ppp?
> >
> >It all depends on what the definition of _difference_ is for one.  The
> >linux pppd comes only as a kernel-assisted daemon, while freebsd has
> >user-ppp too.  That is one difference.  Many things in common also exist
> >between these two.  For instance, they both support BSD-style header
> >compression.
> >
> >Anyway, what is exactly that interests you regarding PPP on linux and/or
> >freebsd?  They are separately written, and being that, they have both a
> >pack of common and a lot of different things to characterize each.
> I'm trying to figure out why windows dialup connection and linux ppp seem
> to have no problem with dropped connections in comparison to FBSD ppp.

I dial out with user-ppp and I have no problem with drops. If I am on
for 8 hours, I am automaticaly dropped. I have ppp set to do -auto and
-alias and it redials when the connection is dropped. The only way I
knew for a long time was to check my ppp.log. You need a proper
ppp.linkup and ppp.linkdown to clear and enter information but that is
all. I find that FreeBSD is much faster connecting than using NAT on
NT. It is only a few seconds but a few can be the difference between a
product timing out or exchanging information over the Internet. The
product is beyond my control and I programmed around its requirements.

I also have ppp setup so I can pass commands to it with pppctl. Then,
I added a command (pppclose) to drop the connection using pppctl. I
find it useful to dial when I am near the FreeBSD system and also have
a pppctl script called pppdial that tells ppp to dial my ISP. I only
need this when my ISP has a flaky modem and you need to hear the
sounds from the handshaking. Once in a great while, the system will
connect but the connection really isn't there. Then, I drop the line
and tell ppp to re-dial. Later on, I added shell aliases to check
"show phy" and "show timers" using pppctl.

It does what I want and that keeps me happy.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

SETI(Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) @ HOME
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html