Date:      Fri, 26 Mar 1999 11:36:48 -0500
From:      The Classiest Man Alive <ksmm@threespace.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Windows vs. FreeBSD: Changing Times

This happens to me every year.  This year I figured I'd ask the experts
(that means YOU) if there was a simple solution to this problem.

Daylight Savings Time in the US begins next Sunday, April 4th.  As you may
remember this means setting every clock, watch, and VCR in your home
forward by one hour at 2:00 AM on that day.  Depending on how many clocks
you have, it's tedious, but not exactly strenuous.

That is, unless you have a computer that can dual boot between Windows and
FreeBSD.  For those of you who don't know, Windows will automatically
change your CMOS clock to reflect the correct time after the time change.
Or you can do it manually.  Either way, that clock needs to be set to the
correct local time in order for the Windows system time to be reflected
correctly.

Unfortunately, FreeBSD seems to do an intelligent translation that
automatically adds one hour to the CMOS time during the Daylight Time
period.  This is all good, except that when Windows sets the clock ahead
one hour and then FreeBSD adds one hour in software...well, you see where
this is going.  Somebody (Windows or FreeBSD) is going to have the wrong time.

Is there a simple way around this problem?  Can I tell FreeBSD that even
though we're in Daylight Time that it should take the CMOS clock as the
current local time?

Thanks again,
K.S.