Date:      Tue, 8 Dec 1998 17:52:53 +0300 (MSK)
From:      "Andrew A. Bely" <taurus@cave.garant.ru>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Cross-compiling for FreeBSD

Sorry for bringing up such subject again...

Some tasks we solve at our job requires cross-compilers to FreeBSD
(both 2.2.6 or 2.2.7 and 3.0-RELEASE) hosted on Solaris 2.6 (x86
platform).

  I try to build this cross-compilers both from GCC 2.7.2.3 and egcs 1.1b
distributions using i386-pc-freebsd(elf) as targets for 2.2.x (3.0)
respectively. Both of them does not works.
  The problem looks like I've got wrong binutils (built from
binutils 2.9.1). At least, nm (and also ld, of course) configured for
i386-pc-freebsd does not understand formats of some object files from
native libc.a.
  3.0 cross has another problem, related to binutils again, I think.
Some symbols from object files has one more underscore char than in native
libs, but some has one underscore lost. At second, I have only crt1.o (not
crt0.o) startup object file and ld.so is named as ld-elf.so.

  I've looked up through mail list archives and find that I probably needs
the ElfKit written by John D. Polstra. But all links points to his FTP
site, that does not contain ElfKit (any more ?). Also I probably needs
some binutils patches and hints on making it works.

Please, please, please! Help me!
Thanks.

  Important! I'm not subscribed to this mailiing list, so, please,
CC me any replies to <taurus@cave.garant.ru>

  Andrew A. Bely
  Software developer in Garant-Service, Moscow, Russia.