Date:      Wed, 4 Jul 2001 16:45:36 -0400
From:      "Ryan Masse" <rmasse@mastery.ca>
To:        "P. U. (Uli) Kruppa" <root@pukruppa.de>
Cc:        "FreeBSD-Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Certification

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > it seems, I am writing from the other side of the ocean
> > > (Germany to be exact) and do not completely understand this
> > > discussion. But for professional reasons I am interested.
> > >
> > > So I would be happy if you answered these two questions:
> > > 1) Are there really any working online-courses for anything,
> > >      which will give you a certification -
> > >      if true: could you give me an example?
> > > 2) (still if true:) do they work completely automagically or
> > >    are there human beings involved who control the stuff?
> > >

> > Actually i work IT for a company who has a training platform (not html
> > based) which installs and runs over cd-rom,lan,intranet, and/or internet
in
> > which it delivers interactive media accross one of the above methods of
> > delivery. I know everybody that has seen a cbt training package laughs
at
> > its performance, design and over functionality but this package is truly
> > workable into any environment. It is totally customizable with builtin
> > testing, reporting and certificate assigning cababilities. Asside from
the
> > sales pitch no intervention is needed and some form of this *could be
used
> > to successfully deploy such a certification program.
> >
> > for more info on the above check out one of our websites;
> > http://www.masterycanada.com
> > http://www.masterytech.com

> Thanks for your hint, Ryan.
> In my opinion a good course should consist of different
> parts:
> (1) some sort of theoretical lecture
> (2) practical examples/exercises under supervision
> (3) self-controlled exercises
> (4) exchange of experiences
> (5) some sort of test to proof your advance
> (6) ...(? - one never knows)
> Now I can see an online-course as part (3) or (5) of a
> curriculum. A free and community-proven online-course would
> make every newbie happy and could be useful to any
> professional IT-Trainer as well. The latter would earn his
> money with (1), (2), (4) and (6).
>
> So only one question remains:
> Is there a market for FreeBSD-admins (remember I am
> writing from Germany)?

The only challenge i could foresee is #3. What would prevent a user from
picking up his O'Reilly book and referencing the correct answer for each of
our questions then successfully passing the course and obtaining a cert? As
for #5 we would simply need to come up with terminal and enabling learning
objectives pertaining to the information we wish to teach. ex.

Terminal objective.

Understand the common components of a UNIX box.

Enabling objective.

Describe steps needed to be taken to successfully clean your system.. YADA
YADA

Once the objectives of each lesson are obtained it becomes rather simple to
1. design questions to test user 2. link questions with appropriate learning
objective 3. be able to produce statistics and minimize any liability
pertaining to the course. ie.

Joe logs on, answers 17 of 20 questions right the system goes back and
re-teaches the user the 3 question he got wrong and keeps him in the system
until he gets all 20 questions right. That way the administrator can say Joe
knows this stuff because he answered this question correct which then
satisfied the learning objective that he understands the common components
of a Unix box.

Long winded but complete :)

Ryan