Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2001 18:28:07 -0600 (CST)
From:      Josh Thomas <jdt2101@ksu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ppp (pppoe) client problems

My ppp client keeps on dying about once a day, and I'm pretty curious as
to the reasons why.  I keep getting a kernel error saying that a mac
address has an ip conflict with my de0 device (the nic for the dsl modem).
This is my ppp.conf file
default:
pppoe:
        set device PPPoE:de0:
        set mru 1492
        set mtu 1492
        set speed sync
        enable lqr
        set lqrperiod 5
        set cd 5
        set dial
        set login
        set timeout 0
        set authname cmdrtaco
        set authkey jode1234
        set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0
        add default HISADDR
        enable dns

I keep getting an error that de0 has an ip conflict with a specific mac
address which apparently isn't within my network, and none of my nat'd
machines have 10.* ip addresses anyway.  I'm somewhat confused why I'm
getting this error, as arp isn't enabled with the network card, yet the
error includes arp, I'll make a copy of it as soon as I get it.  The
really irritating thing is that this problem only occurs, say, twice a
week.  Usually I have to wait a half hour or so before the ppp client
connects correctly.

-Josh