Date:      Sat, 03 Mar 2001 16:28:11 -0600
From:      Laurence Berland <stuyman@confusion.net>
To:        Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
Subject:   Re: Filtering connections to ftpd by mac address ?

Dennis wrote:

> This is a somewhat short-sighted view of the world with today's multitude
> of "bridged" environments.

All this means is that you see that restricted use as being still
important.  If you're claiming that this means you see MACs beyond the
local network, I'd say you're just plain wrong.  Anything bridged is
going to technically be on the same segment (from an ethernet
standpoint).

> for example, DSL and wireless links are usually bridged, so your customers
> MAC addresses are appearing on your network. Many of the customers for our
> ET/BWMGR for freebsd, which allows filtering and bandwidth management by
> MAC address, use our product to:
>

> Dennis Baasch

Please wrap your email at ~80 chars, otherwise line breaks get messed up
for many of us

> >  On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, David Wilson wrote:
> >
> > > Hi guys, howzit going ?
> > >
> > > Any ideas on how to filter connections to ftpd based on mac address ? ;-)
> > > I have looked into ipfw and tcp wrappers, but both only seem to be able to
> > > do IP addresses.

Laurence Berland
Intern, Flooz.com
Northwestern '04