Date:      14 Jul 2000 14:48:14 +0100
From:      Harry Newton <harry_newton@telinco.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   key binding in bash

I can't bind keys in bash --- has anyone ideas what I'm doing wrong ?

$ bash --version
GNU bash, version 2.03.0(1)-release (i386--freebsd4.0)
$ cat ~/.inputrc
Control-o: "TEST"
$ uname -a
FreeBSD chimaera.locus 4.0-STABLE FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE #3: Fri Jun 30
07:10:00 BST  2000     root@chimaera.locus:/usr/src/sys/compile/CHIMAERA  i386

With the above, pressing ^o doesn't cause the terminal to beep ( which
would indicate that the sequence was unbound ).

Trying a different tack, and getting rid of the ~/.inputrc, nor can I
do this:

$ bind '"\C-o": clear-screen'

because ^o doesn't clear the screen, even though the output from

$ bind -P

includes the line:

clear-screen can be found on "\C-l", "\C-o".

I'm completely stumped ! Any suggestions gratefully received. If I'm
being stupid, please just send me an email to that effect !

--
Harry Newton
harry_newton@telinco.co.uk