Date:      Wed, 6 Jun 2001 09:29:39 -0500
From:      Andrew Hesford <ajh3@usrlib.org>
To:        Joel Dinel <dinjo@touchtunes.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pkg_delete error message

On Wed, Jun 06, 2001 at 10:27:51AM -0400, Joel Dinel wrote:
> When removing a port today (portupgrade), I ran into this :
>
> pkg_delete: couldn't open dependency file
> `/var/db/pkg/ruby-1.6.4/+REQUIRED_BY'
>
> I get a similar error message when removing/upgrading a lot of ports as
> well, but nothing's broken. This appeared about a month ago, and I can't
> see what could've caused this. When checking in /var/db/pkg, there's
> effectively no 'ruby-1.6.4' folder.
>
> How can I 'fix' this?
>
> --
> Joel Dinel
> TouchTunes Digital Jukebox, Inc.

This means you don't have ruby-1.6.4 installed. Maybe you self-installed
ruby, or installed an older version? When you update the ports tree, all
subsequent builds from it will expect current package versions, although
the builds won't stop if you have older dependencies.

This is a safety feature to save you from having to rebuild everything
whenever you want to build one thing.

Either ignore the messages, because they mean nothing, or install the
version of ruby that is asked for.

--
Andrew Hesford
ajh3@usrlib.org